Infrastructure & Construction
Our Infrastructure & Construction practice group has built a solid reputation on a strong legal foundation and extensive industry experience. We have substantial experience in providing legal advice in the infrastructure and construction industry. Our projects range from residential, commercial development to Multi-billion Ringgit oil terminal and industrial facilities, including the development and augmentation of government initiated economic corridors, high-speed broadband rights and infrastructure, bridges and airport facilities. Our clients include property and project owners, developers, concessionaire holders, employers, operators, contractors and consultants. We understand the rigorous demands in construction law and apply the same rigour in meeting these needs.
We have advised on project not only within Malaysia but also in Sudan, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India and Indonesia.
We are able to assist on the following matters:
- Advising on instructions to be issued to tenderers and the preparation of tender documents
- Drafting and advising on the contents of various letters in relation to the acceptance of tenders, the appointment and selection of contractors and notification of appointments
- Advising on legislative and regulatory compliance on tender procedures and construction law matters
- Advising, drafting and negotiating on various types of construction contracts and other agreements related thereto including development, supply, maintenance, agency and licence agreements
- Advising on related security documents in the construction industry e.g. bank guarantees, design warranties, etc.
- Advising and litigating on any legal disputes arising from the various construction contracts and other agreements related thereto including the interpretation of contracts, alleged breach and default of the parties to the contracts
- Representing the client whether as plaintiff or defendant in any construction law litigation involving mediation, arbitration or the courts of law
- Providing a panel of qualified arbitrators from which the parties to an arbitration may elect an arbitrator for their dispute
- Asian-mena Counsel Firm of the Year 2019, 2015, 2014 for Real Estate/Construction – In-House Community
- Asialaw Profiles 2023 – Recommended for Infrastructure
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 – Tier 3 for Real Estate and Construction
- IFLR1000 31st Edition 2021/2022 – Tier 3 for Project Development: Infrastructure
- Advised on land acquisition issues in relation to the development of Economic Corridors
- Advised on the reclamation, development and construction of man-made island into an oil terminal facility
- Involved in the drafting of the East Coast Economic Region Development Council Act, an Act regulating a project which span over four states in Malaysia, representing 51% of the total land area of Peninsular Malaysia under the Ninth Malaysian Plan
- Have been, and is currently, involved in prominent projects such as the Kuala Lumpur City Centre (“KLCC”), the Malaysian Government’s Federal Administrative Capital in Putrajaya, Iskandar Malaysia, the East Coast Economic Region and the Klang Valley Mass Rail Transit (“KVMRT”)
- Advised 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) in negotiating and drafting the arrangements for the purchase and lease of Sungai Besi airport land as well as the relocation of the current occupiers of the Sungai Besi airport land to various relocation sites (8 sites) to be developed by 1MDB
Well-reputed projects team, particularly known for its strength in project finance and acquisitions. Strong on oil and gas projects, including offshore energy, as well as possessing in-depth expertise in water and electricity issues. Has additional experience of infrastructure projects such as airports and bridges, especially in relation to construction contracts and concession agreements. – Chambers Asia Pacific 2018: Projects, Infrastructure & Energy – Band 3